What is Bitcoin (BTC)?
Bitcoin is the first decentralized cryptocoin ever built on top of a blockchain. It was created by an anonymous person or group of people with the nickname Satoshi Nakamoto in 2009 as an open source project.
To understand the Bitcoin blockchain we can imagine a book, where each page number contains a signature that can validate the content of that page and its previous one. This signature is computed by an algorithm known as SHA-256 and cannot be reversed. In other words we can calculate the A-256 signature from some content, but we can't get content if we know its SHA-256 signature. Back to the example with the book: if we tear out a page from the book, we can easily understand that a page is missing. The same is with adding an inexistent page. All the pages are copied between members of the chain, and this is why the Bitcoin Blockchain is considered a distributed network.
Bitcoin is an open source project maintained by a developer team with over 580 active contributors. The code of the chain is available on Github. The main purpose of Bitcoin was decentralized but trusted, low fee money transactions between people and businesses around the world. Nowadays over 100.000 vendors accept Bitcoin for payments. And there are between 2.9 and 5.8 million unique users who actively use Bitcoin cryptocurrency wallets. The price of Bitcoin can be very volatile due to speculation and has changed in the past more than +/-20% during a single.
- Historical Data
- Bitcoin Strategy ProFund aims to tackle regulatory barriers for investorsCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoMutual funds provider ProFund aims to enable crypto exposure for investors without actually buying Bitcoin. The United States-based investment management firm ProFunds announced the launch…
- Solana based cross-chain exchange Saber raises $7.7M to expand team and tokensCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoSaber has raised $7.7 million in a seeding fund round, and is rated as the second platform on Solana in terms of total locked value…
- Nano seeks $700K in costs from plaintiff who dropped class action with 'absurd' claimsCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoThe ongoing Nano saga has taken another twist with a token holder dropping his case. An ongoing lawsuit involving crypto project Nano has taken another…
- Senators add crypto taxes to infrastructure deal to raise $28B in extra revenueCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoU.S. lawmakers believe they can find $28 billion worth of infrastructure funding by expanding taxation on crypto transactions. Last-minute additions to the bipartisan infrastructure deal…
- Erik Voorhees lashes ‘disgusting’ behavior of Bitcoin maxis: ‘Not the community I come from’Cointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoErik Voorhees is embarrassed by toxic Bitcoin maxis and told a podcast: “I don't know when they got into Bitcoin, but absolutely that is not…