What is Tether (USDT)?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- New Huawei smartphone will feature a hardware wallet for digital yuanCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoThe Mate40 series will reportedly enable dual offline transactions and allow users to control anonymity. Huawei has announced that its forthcoming Mate40 smartphone series will…
- Bitcoin just 4 days away from historically bullish $10K price recordCointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoIf Bitcoin can stay above $10,000 by the day of the U.S. elections, history suggests that $100,000 is next. Bitcoin (BTC) has spent nearly 100…
- Blockchain could become a part of the US military’s strategic weaponryCointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoSIMBA Chain beat competitors such as Boeing by using blockchain to underpin a war games solution for the U.S. Department of Defense. One often hears…
- Bitcoin suddenly slides 4% as BofA predicts a 20% stock market crashCointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoThe price of Bitcoin abruptly dropped 4% from the day’s peak as the uncertainty in the stock market intensified. The price of Bitcoin (BTC) abruptly…
- Nearly 24% of Ether held on exchanges — three times the percentage of BitcoinCointelegraph.com News - 12 hours agoOnly 8.1% of Bitcoin is held on exchanges compared to Ether where almost one-quarter of the supply sits on exchanges. Almost one-quarter of Ethereum’s (ETH)…