What is Tether (USDT)?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- Stake or DApp? With liquid staking, you don’t have to chooseCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoImplementation of liquid staking addresses worrisome price fluctuations and helps users to generate higher rewards by combining staking payouts and DApp yield. Last summer, Polkadot…
- 20% drop in the S&P 500 puts stocks in a bear market, Bitcoin and altcoins followCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoRecession fears mount as a 20% decline in the S&P 500 places stock in a bear market, increasing the chance that BTC and altcoins will…
- OpenSea launches 'Seaport' marketplace protocol allowing NFT barteringCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours ago“OpenSea does not control or operate the Seaport protocol — we will be just one, among many, building on top of this shared protocol,” said…
- Florida Rep. Donalds introduces Financial Freedom Act companion bill in the HouseCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoThe Republican congressman is supporting Sen. Tommy Tuberville’s Senate bill and financial services companies that want to include crypto in their 401(k) product offerings. Rep.…
- FCA will 'absolutely' consider recent stablecoin depegging when drafting crypto rules: ReportCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoThe United Kingdom's Economic and Finance Ministry announced in April that it would work to incorporate stablecoins into a regulatory framework on digital assets. Sarah…