What is Tether (USDT)?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- Ripple Aims to Become the Amazon of the Cryptocurrency WorldCointelegraph.com News - 19 minutes agoRipple is working to explore new use cases for its blockchain network. The much-debated blockchain firm Ripple is now planning to expand its use case…
- YAM Token Holders ‘Burnt the Hardest’ After Price Plunges to ZeroCointelegraph.com News - 24 minutes agoYam Finance, an experimental DeFi protocol, crashed to zero after the discovery of a rebase bug. Compound, Yearn Finance, and Balancer plunged shortly thereafter. Yam…
- Ireland Will Transpose Latest EU Anti-Money Laundering Rules Into National LawCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoIrish crypto firms will face stricter obligations after the country belatedly adopts the latest EU anti-money-laundering rules. Cryptocurrency firms in Ireland will soon be regulated…
- New Bill in Germany Proposes to Digitize Securities With BlockchainCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoThe arrival of digitized securities is one of the core aspects of the federal government’s blockchain strategy, German authorities say. Federal regulators in Germany are…
- Rebase Bug Permanently Breaks Yam GovernanceCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoUnaudited contracts resulted in its death after all. A bug in the hastily-developed contracts for Yam Finance resulted in the governance contracts being “permanently broken”…