What is Tether (USDT)?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- Bitcoin Strategy ProFund aims to tackle regulatory barriers for investorsCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoMutual funds provider ProFund aims to enable crypto exposure for investors without actually buying Bitcoin. The United States-based investment management firm ProFunds announced the launch…
- Solana based cross-chain exchange Saber raises $7.7M to expand team and tokensCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoSaber has raised $7.7 million in a seeding fund round, and is rated as the second platform on Solana in terms of total locked value…
- Nano seeks $700K in costs from plaintiff who dropped class action with 'absurd' claimsCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoThe ongoing Nano saga has taken another twist with a token holder dropping his case. An ongoing lawsuit involving crypto project Nano has taken another…
- Senators add crypto taxes to infrastructure deal to raise $28B in extra revenueCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoU.S. lawmakers believe they can find $28 billion worth of infrastructure funding by expanding taxation on crypto transactions. Last-minute additions to the bipartisan infrastructure deal…
- Erik Voorhees lashes ‘disgusting’ behavior of Bitcoin maxis: ‘Not the community I come from’Cointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoErik Voorhees is embarrassed by toxic Bitcoin maxis and told a podcast: “I don't know when they got into Bitcoin, but absolutely that is not…