What is Tether (USDT)?
Tether is a tocken issued by Tether Limited company which belongs to the Bitfinex trading platform. It was built on top of Omni Layer digital currency protocol, which works on the Bitcoin blockchain.
The main purpose of this token is to provide stability to traders and members of cryptocurrency market, because Tether is claimed to be backed by US dollars on Tether Ltd bank accounts, so its price is not as volatile as prices of other cryptocurrencies. However, that remains yet to be proven and is is the reason why the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission issued subpoenas to both Tether and Bitfinex. Also Tether Ltd underlines that the Tether token is not a financial instrument, and the owners of Tethers have no rights for legal claims or guarantees against losses.
Nevertheless, tether is a very popular token and is used by a number of exchanges (mostly the crypto to crypto only ones) as their main stablecoin. The amount of Tethers grew up to $2.8 billion. During summer 2018 around 80% of Bitcoin volume was traded in Tethers.
- Historical Data
- Bacon Protocol launches decentralized mortgage platformCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoThe platform gives crypto holders direct access to the mortgage investment market, which is currently controlled by banks and governments. Decentralized mortgage lender Bacon Protocol…
- Europe becomes largest crypto economy with over $1T in transactions — ChainalysisCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoDeFi has become a major catalyst for Europe’s crypto economy. Large institutions have also upped their share of transactions significantly. The region of central, northern…
- Verifone to enable crypto payments at major retailers through BitPayCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoOne of the world’s largest point-of-sale providers has partnered with BitPay to allow U.S.-based merchants to accept crypto payments Crypto payments are becoming increasingly popular…
- Peruvian stablecoin launches on Stellar blockchainCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoAnclap expects to launch two more Stellar-based stablecoins for Chile and Colombia later this year. Latin American stablecoin issuer Anclap is expanding its Stellar-based stablecoin…
- CBDCs can cut cross border remittance costs by half: BIS reportCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoA BIS report based on a multi-CBDC pilot also showed significant improvements in international remittance speed. The Bank for International Settlements (BIS) has published a…