What is Monero (XMR)?
Monero (launched 2014) is a privacy focused cryptocurrency which is based on Cryptonote technology. Privacy is built in its design by default for all the network participants. The development is currently led by Riccardo Spagni with a few other core protocol developers after splitting from the original Bitmonero project (forked from bytecoin) in 2014.
Monero has unbounded inflation, after emission of 18.132 million monero (May 2022), a constant tail emission of 0.6 XMR every 2 minutes will ck in resulting around 1% inflation per year. A permanent inflation keeps miners incentivized, thereby securing the network.
Monero enables untraceable and unlinkable transactions. It uses Ring signatures to protect sender identity, stealth address to protect recipient identity and Ring CT (Ring confidential transaction) to protect transaction amount. This is vastly different from Bitcoin where all transactions are visible to everyone and a sophisticated blockchain analysis can potentially reveal a user's identity. Monero is currently working on Kouri to integrate I2P (The invisible internet project) to protect users IP address as well.
In April 2018, Monero made an effort (successful so far) to become ASIC resistance, in order to prevent mining centralization. Monero's privacy feature makes a true fungible coin. It also supports the concept of ‘view key'. Using a ‘view key' a user can share transaction details with a third party or an auditor. No one can spend coins using ‘view key'.
Governments are usually not greats fans of the anonymous cryptocurrency concept. Notably, the Japanese Financial Security Agency is already trying to ban such coins, as they worry that they can be used for illegal activities. However, Monero's community is strong and supportive and most probably a real market need for a privacy respecting coin will always be there. (eg. Monero is already a primary payment method for buying branded Tor onion domains).
- Historical Data
- Over 20 investment funds hold Dash, and 40 more plan to add it: ReportCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoAre investors piling into Dash in anticipation of the mainnet launch of Dash Platform, expected in 2022? Cointelegraph Research conducted a first-of-its-kind survey querying over…
- Largest NFT mint ever: Making sense of Yuga Lab’s ‘virtual’ land bonanzaCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoBored Ape creator Yuga’s Otherdeed launch was the largest NFT mint ever, but are metaverse communities turning into gated communities? Last week, 55,000 parcels of…
- Meta will test digital collectibles on Instagram starting this weekCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoAccording to Mark Zuckerberg, Meta was planning to “bring similar functionality to Facebook soon” and working on “augmented reality NFTs” for Instagram as well. Mark…
- SHIB price eyes 30% drop with Shiba Inu's massive triangle breakdown underwayCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoShiba Inu developer promises a bright future with an upcoming NFT gaming project, but SHIB price continues to fall. Shiba Inu (SHIB) price dropped by over 10%…
- Question of centralization faces growing crypto insurance industryCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoCryptocurrency insurance is expected to be a big business: Will it be centralized or decentralized? Cryptocurrency markets have been maturing over the last few years,…