What is Monero (XMR)?
Monero (launched 2014) is a privacy focused cryptocurrency which is based on Cryptonote technology. Privacy is built in its design by default for all the network participants. The development is currently led by Riccardo Spagni with a few other core protocol developers after splitting from the original Bitmonero project (forked from bytecoin) in 2014.
Monero has unbounded inflation, after emission of 18.132 million monero (May 2022), a constant tail emission of 0.6 XMR every 2 minutes will ck in resulting around 1% inflation per year. A permanent inflation keeps miners incentivized, thereby securing the network.
Monero enables untraceable and unlinkable transactions. It uses Ring signatures to protect sender identity, stealth address to protect recipient identity and Ring CT (Ring confidential transaction) to protect transaction amount. This is vastly different from Bitcoin where all transactions are visible to everyone and a sophisticated blockchain analysis can potentially reveal a user’s identity. Monero is currently working on Kouri to integrate I2P (The invisible internet project) to protect users IP address as well.
In April 2018, Monero made an effort (successful so far) to become ASIC resistance, in order to prevent mining centralization. Monero’s privacy feature makes a true fungible coin. It also supports the concept of ‘view key’. Using a ‘view key’ a user can share transaction details with a third party or an auditor. No one can spend coins using ‘view key’.
Governments are usually not greats fans of the anonymous cryptocurrency concept. Notably, the Japanese Financial Security Agency is already trying to ban such coins, as they worry that they can be used for illegal activities. However, Monero’s community is strong and supportive and most probably a real market need for a privacy respecting coin will always be there. (eg. Monero is already a primary payment method for buying branded Tor onion domains).
- Historical Data
- Ransomware Attacks Are Exploding in the Education SectorCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoA Verizon report highlights the growing number of ransomware attacks across educational services. Educational services across the globe have been witnessing a surge in ransomware…
- Ahead of Ethereum 2.0 Launch, 3 Key Metrics Point to ETH Price SurgeCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoWhile Ethereum 2.0 is still not set in stone, three key metrics show us that users and investors are optimistic about the price of ETH.…
- Price Analysis 5/25: BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, BSV, LTC, BNB, EOS, XTZ, ADACointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoSeveral major cryptocurrencies have turned down from their resistance levels, hinting that further downside could occur in the short-term. Bitcoin (BTC) has neither run away…
- Tether Unseats XRP As Third-Largest Crypto, Dwarfing Its Volume 25:1Cointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoThe race for third place is still far from over. Tether (USDT) has overtaken XRP to become the third largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, as…
- Libra Exec Hirings Suggest Commitment to Anti-Crypto RegulationsCointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoExperts believe that Libra’s hiring spree signifies a willingness to comply with existing legal and financial guidelines. Following a big-time update to its white paper…