What is Monero (XMR)?
Monero (launched 2014) is a privacy focused cryptocurrency which is based on Cryptonote technology. Privacy is built in its design by default for all the network participants. The development is currently led by Riccardo Spagni with a few other core protocol developers after splitting from the original Bitmonero project (forked from bytecoin) in 2014.
Monero has unbounded inflation, after emission of 18.132 million monero (May 2022), a constant tail emission of 0.6 XMR every 2 minutes will ck in resulting around 1% inflation per year. A permanent inflation keeps miners incentivized, thereby securing the network.
Monero enables untraceable and unlinkable transactions. It uses Ring signatures to protect sender identity, stealth address to protect recipient identity and Ring CT (Ring confidential transaction) to protect transaction amount. This is vastly different from Bitcoin where all transactions are visible to everyone and a sophisticated blockchain analysis can potentially reveal a user's identity. Monero is currently working on Kouri to integrate I2P (The invisible internet project) to protect users IP address as well.
In April 2018, Monero made an effort (successful so far) to become ASIC resistance, in order to prevent mining centralization. Monero's privacy feature makes a true fungible coin. It also supports the concept of ‘view key'. Using a ‘view key' a user can share transaction details with a third party or an auditor. No one can spend coins using ‘view key'.
Governments are usually not greats fans of the anonymous cryptocurrency concept. Notably, the Japanese Financial Security Agency is already trying to ban such coins, as they worry that they can be used for illegal activities. However, Monero's community is strong and supportive and most probably a real market need for a privacy respecting coin will always be there. (eg. Monero is already a primary payment method for buying branded Tor onion domains).
- Historical Data
- Finance Redefined: Ethereum exodus continues as Binance ‘helps,’ Feb 17–24.Cointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoBinance is flexing its muscles in a bid to promote BSC over Ethereum. The parabolic rise of the Binance Smart Chain has been all over…
- Blockchain soccer gaming startup Sorare raises $50MCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoSorare has raised $50 million in a Series A round, bringing its total funding to $60 million. Sorare, a major blockchain-based soccer gaming platform, has…
- Coinbase has held Bitcoin on its balance sheets since 2012Cointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoThe American exchange is offering services and advice to other private and publicly traded firms who want to hold digital assets in their treasuries. United…
- People who bought Bitcoin in 2017 becoming the strongest HODLers, new data showsCointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoInvestors who began their Bitcoin journey three to five years ago have stronger hands than you might think. Bitcoin (BTC) may be worth almost three…
- What Bitcoin price levels will invalidate the short-term bearish scenario?Cointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoBitcoin struggling to break above $51,600 could trigger another big drop in BTC price. The price of Bitcoin (BTC) is continuing to range between $48,000…