What is Ethereum (ETH)?
Ethereum is a decentralized operating system. The platform introduced, in practice, the concept of “decentralized applications”. Its founder, Vitalik Buterin, has been engaged in the development of blockchain and Bitcoin since its inception.
Today, several cryptocurrencies are issued in ICOs using Ethereum. These tokens are called ERC-20, and they are the foundation for running scripts in the Ethereum Virtual Machine. Through the development of “smart contracts”, Ethereum made it possible to sign tokens that have a specific function besides being a medium of exchange and broadened the capabilities of blockchain “transactions”.
Its key cryptocurrency is the Ether, which is usually used for payments in smart contracts or dApps. In addition, Ethereum is also fueled with GAS, a cryptocurrency associated with operations that require some kind of computation from its nodes. The GAS price is proportional to the type of the computational power required execute a task. Therefore, a fee in GAS is included to pay for the nodes running or authenticating a transaction.
Originally, Ethereum used proof-of-work to reach consensus. The Casper protocol, however, gradually shifted Ethereum consensus from PoW to a custom proof-of-stake protocol.
- Historical Data
- Ransomware Attacks Are Exploding in the Education SectorCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoA Verizon report highlights the growing number of ransomware attacks across educational services. Educational services across the globe have been witnessing a surge in ransomware…
- Ahead of Ethereum 2.0 Launch, 3 Key Metrics Point to ETH Price SurgeCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoWhile Ethereum 2.0 is still not set in stone, three key metrics show us that users and investors are optimistic about the price of ETH.…
- Price Analysis 5/25: BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, BSV, LTC, BNB, EOS, XTZ, ADACointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoSeveral major cryptocurrencies have turned down from their resistance levels, hinting that further downside could occur in the short-term. Bitcoin (BTC) has neither run away…
- Tether Unseats XRP As Third-Largest Crypto, Dwarfing Its Volume 25:1Cointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoThe race for third place is still far from over. Tether (USDT) has overtaken XRP to become the third largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, as…
- Libra Exec Hirings Suggest Commitment to Anti-Crypto RegulationsCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoExperts believe that Libra’s hiring spree signifies a willingness to comply with existing legal and financial guidelines. Following a big-time update to its white paper…