What is Ethereum (ETH)?
Ethereum is a decentralized operating system. The platform introduced, in practice, the concept of “decentralized applications”. Its founder, Vitalik Buterin, has been engaged in the development of blockchain and Bitcoin since its inception.
Today, several cryptocurrencies are issued in ICOs using Ethereum. These tokens are called ERC-20, and they are the foundation for running scripts in the Ethereum Virtual Machine. Through the development of “smart contracts”, Ethereum made it possible to sign tokens that have a specific function besides being a medium of exchange and broadened the capabilities of blockchain “transactions”.
Its key cryptocurrency is the Ether, which is usually used for payments in smart contracts or dApps. In addition, Ethereum is also fueled with GAS, a cryptocurrency associated with operations that require some kind of computation from its nodes. The GAS price is proportional to the type of the computational power required execute a task. Therefore, a fee in GAS is included to pay for the nodes running or authenticating a transaction.
Originally, Ethereum used proof-of-work to reach consensus. The Casper protocol, however, gradually shifted Ethereum consensus from PoW to a custom proof-of-stake protocol.
- Historical Data
- 6 Questions for Lyn Alden Schwartzer of Lyn Alden Investment StrategyCointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoWe ask the buidlers in the blockchain and cryptocurrency sector for their thoughts on the industry… and we throw in a few random zingers to…
- New tribes of the Metaverse — Community-owned economiesCointelegraph.com News - 13 hours agoThe gaming ecosystem is set to become more community-driven with the help of decentralized tech, empowering creators and coders. People have talked in glowing tones…
- Bitcoin risks lowest weekly close in 2 months but BTC buyers stock up at $53KCointelegraph.com News - 15 hours agoBitcoin remains attractive for seasoned hodlers, as $50,000 now becomes the point at which confidence could turn to anxiety. Bitcoin (BTC) hovered around $54,000 on…
- US Bitcoin ETF favors Australian approval, but Aussies need to go furtherCointelegraph.com News - 15 hours agoIf Australia can embrace the crypto asset class, it could very realistically see an injection of new capital into its markets and the broader economy.…
- Bitcoin AUM falls 9.5% to record largest monthly pullback since JulyCointelegraph.com News - 18 hours agoThe Bitcoin assets under management (AUM) market fell 9.5% to $48.7 billion in November while altcoin-based crypto funds such as Ether saw their AUM rise…