What is Dogecoin (DOGE)?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin's popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin's mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin's developer Billy Markus based this coin's code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin's community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin's development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- Historical Data
- Traders remain bullish even as DeFi’s TVL falls to $54.4 billionCointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoThe total value locked in decentralized finance platforms dropped 16% to $54.4 billion this week, but the quick rebound in DeFi token prices shows traders…
- Fed chair says it's up to Congress to bring a digital dollar to marketCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoJerome Powell added that the Federal Reserve needed to consider the health of other markets when creating a digital currency. Federal Reserve chair Jerome Powell…
- As Visa and Mastercard raise fees, merchants may look to cryptoCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoCryptocurrencies have fees, but so do payment cards. Credit card providers charge merchants a cut of the payments they accepted, called interchange fees or swipe…
- Golem (GLM) price rallies 230% to hit a 3-year high after protocol upgradeCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoGolem price has rallied 230% since the start of February and on-chain data shows an uptick in active addresses and transfers. Over the past few…
- CME Bitcoin futures numbers saw a 57% uptick in JanuaryCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoJanuary proved significant in terms of Bitcoin futures trading average daily volume for the CME. Bitcoin’s price rose significantly in January. The Chicago Mercantile Exchange,…