What is Dogecoin (DOGE)?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin’s popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin’s mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin’s developer Billy Markus based this coin’s code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin’s community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin’s development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- Historical Data
- UK FCA wants to include crypto firms in financial crime reporting rulesCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoThe U.K.’s financial watchdog wants crypto firms to submit annual financial crime reports to help it cement a data-led approach to regulation. Cryptocurrency firms in…
- Power Ledger launches renewable energy credit marketplace in SE AsiaCointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoPower Ledger’s most recent development is a renewable energy certificate marketplace for SE Asia. Blockchain-enabled approaches to advancing the transition to renewable energy sources are…
- Bitcoin is on target to hit $288K as US money velocity collapses in Q2Cointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoAn analyst warns that there is now “just too much money to spend” as the wild money printing regime of central banks fuels Bitcoin’s strength.…
- China plans to use its digital yuan at the 2022 Winter Olympic GamesCointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoDetails about the official launch date still remain murky. The People’s Bank of China is planning to put its digital currency to use at the…
- BitMEX is not registered to operate in Ontario, says regulatorCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoWhere in Canada BitMEX is allowed to offer its services? BitMEX, one of the world’s largest Bitcoin (BTC) trading platforms, is now officially restricted to…