What is Dogecoin (DOGE)?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin's popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin's mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin's developer Billy Markus based this coin's code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin's community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin's development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- Historical Data
- Crypto on the casino floor? Las Vegas resort partners with GeminiCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoSome Las Vegas casinos have only been allowed to return to full capacity this week. A Las Vegas casino-resort which aims to open for business…
- Invictus Capital AUM reaches $112M as crypto adoption boomsCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoThe company’s Crypto20 index fund registered 221% growth quarter-over-quarter. Cryptocurrency asset manager Invictus Capital saw significant growth in assets under management during the first quarter,…
- Nokia announces blockchain-powered data marketplaceCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoNokia’s permissioned blockchain platform will reportedly allow trusted data exchange and monetization among client participants. Smartphone maker Nokia has announced the launch Nokia Data Marketplace…
- LTC price hits 13-month high against Bitcoin — All-time high next for Litecoin?Cointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoLitecoin continues to gain strength as traders' attention shifts to a broader altcoin market against Bitcoin's slowing uptrend. Litecoin (LTC) prices surged by up to…
- Nasdaq-listed insurer Metromile plans $10M Bitcoin purchaseCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoThe company will soon accept BTC payments for insurance premiums as part of a broader embrace of digital assets. Metromile Inc., a digital insurer headquartered…