What is Dogecoin (DOGE)?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin's popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin's mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin's developer Billy Markus based this coin's code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin's community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin's development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- Historical Data
- Taxpayers to avoid obligations by sending mining proceeds to IRAsCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoThe IRS has considered crypto mining revenue as part of taxable income since 2014. North American mining and hosting firm Compass Mining is offering a…
- Bitcoin bulls control Friday's $1.7B monthly options expiryCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoBitcoin's surge above $40,000 boosted the bulls' advantage in this month's $1.7 billion options expiry. On Friday, July 30, a total of 42,850 Bitcoin (BTC)…
- IMF intends to 'ramp up' digital currency monitoringCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoThe fund will greatly expand to cover all aspects of digital currency while also working with related financial institutions. The International Monetary Fund, or IMF,…
- Altcoins pump while traders anticipate a lower support test from BitcoinCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoRUNE, QNT and PERP continue to gather strength even as analysts expect a lower support test for Bitcoin price. Bitcoin (BTC) bulls are locked in…
- Ethereum price can hit $14K if the March 2020 chart fractal holdsCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoOne trader spotted the fractal, which employs three classic technical indicators to predict an upside trend for Ethereum. Ethereum's native asset Ether (ETH) faces prospects…