What is ChainLink (LINK)?
ChainLink is a decentralized oracle (software built on top of a blockchain), which provides external data to Ethereum smart contracts. ChainLink is an open source project, started at September 2017 by a company SmartContract. This company was already creating secure oracles for Bitcoin and Ethereum for over 3 years, but in 2017 decided to move towards their own middleware ChainLink. At the moment ChainLink is maintained by 3 developers.
The main purpose for creating ChainLink was to provide nnectivity between blockchains and external software such as bank payments, retail payments (Visa, Paypal), market data (NYSE, Bloomberg) and backend systems (SalesForce, SAP). This allows to integrate blockchain with off-chain sales and local payments, to turn them into smart contracts in exchange for LINK tockens. LINK token is an EIP20 Ethereum token with some additional functions. ICO for LINK tokens was completed on September 2017 raising total of $32.00 M.
Currently ChainLink only works with Ropsten, a test Ethereum network.
- Historical Data
- Bitcoin Price Above $11.5K as Key BTC Price Metric Suggests $12K RetestCointelegraph.com News - 12 hours agoBitcoin recovered back above $11.5K, leading traders to suggest a renewed attack on $12K could occur soon. Today Bitcoin (BTC) price rebounded from its recent…
- Crypto Exchange Bitfinex Is Down Right NowCointelegraph.com News - 12 hours agoInternational crypto exchange Bitfinex unexpectedly went offline for all users this afternoon, citing a ‘platform performance issue.’ Bitfinex has been offline for at least two…
- Yam Suffers Technical Outage Following Scam AccusationsCointelegraph.com News - 13 hours agoYam Finance uncovered a bug the day after ShapeShift CEO Erik Voorhees called the project a scam. Yam finance (YAM), the latest fad in the…
- Malaysian Crypto Miners Were Caught Stealing Electricity From the StateCointelegraph.com News - 13 hours agoThey thought they had it made, but the Malaysian authorities were one step ahead. Malaysian police arrested four cryptocurrency mining operators after discovering that they…
- Peter Brandt’s Tether Warning Is Ominous, But UnclearCointelegraph.com News - 14 hours agoPeter Brandt didn’t mince his words when describing the controversial stablecoin. “Tether is an accident waiting to happen,” Brandt tweeted on Aug. 10, in response…