What is ChainLink (LINK)?
ChainLink is a decentralized oracle (software built on top of a blockchain), which provides external data to Ethereum smart contracts. ChainLink is an open source project, started at September 2017 by a company SmartContract. This company was already creating secure oracles for Bitcoin and Ethereum for over 3 years, but in 2017 decided to move towards their own middleware ChainLink. At the moment ChainLink is maintained by 3 developers.
The main purpose for creating ChainLink was to provide nnectivity between blockchains and external software such as bank payments, retail payments (Visa, Paypal), market data (NYSE, Bloomberg) and backend systems (SalesForce, SAP). This allows to integrate blockchain with off-chain sales and local payments, to turn them into smart contracts in exchange for LINK tockens. LINK token is an EIP20 Ethereum token with some additional functions. ICO for LINK tokens was completed on September 2017 raising total of $32.00 M.
Currently ChainLink only works with Ropsten, a test Ethereum network.
- Historical Data
- $500M in crypto futures liquidated as Bitcoin dips below $34K: What happens next?Cointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoThe cryptocurrency market saw over $500 million worth of positions liquidated in the last 24 hours as Bitcoin slid below $34,000. Roughly $500 million worth…
- Institutional investors won't take Bitcoin mainstream — You willCointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoReal-world applications and users, not institutional investors, will challenge the failing fiat currencies and increase Bitcoin adoption around the world. Similar to 2017 and the…
- Algorithmic asset experiments continue to entice traders & developersCointelegraph.com News - 17 hours agoOn the frontiers of algorithmic assets, trading isn’t the only activity that will raise your heartrate As the team behind Morph.Finance can attest, developing an…
- Traders say Bitcoin price ‘needed pullback’ to maintain bullish momentumCointelegraph.com News - 21 hours agoAnalysts say Bitcoin price needed to “slow down” in order to maintain the bullish momentum needed for the next leg up. Bitcoin’s parabolic increase well…
- BTC crash, DOT crushes XRP, man risks losing $262M: Hodler’s Digest, Jan. 10–16Cointelegraph.com News - 22 hours agoThe best (and worst) quotes, adoption and regulation highlights, leading coins, predictions and much more — one week on Cointelegraph in one link! Coming every…