What is ChainLink (LINK)?
ChainLink is a decentralized oracle (software built on top of a blockchain), which provides external data to Ethereum smart contracts. ChainLink is an open source project, started at September 2017 by a company SmartContract. This company was already creating secure oracles for Bitcoin and Ethereum for over 3 years, but in 2017 decided to move towards their own middleware ChainLink. At the moment ChainLink is maintained by 3 developers.
The main purpose for creating ChainLink was to provide nnectivity between blockchains and external software such as bank payments, retail payments (Visa, Paypal), market data (NYSE, Bloomberg) and backend systems (SalesForce, SAP). This allows to integrate blockchain with off-chain sales and local payments, to turn them into smart contracts in exchange for LINK tockens. LINK token is an EIP20 Ethereum token with some additional functions. ICO for LINK tokens was completed on September 2017 raising total of $32.00 M.
Currently ChainLink only works with Ropsten, a test Ethereum network.
- Historical Data
- Nifty News: Kevin Smith sells horror flick rights as NFT, Megadeth’s ETH, farming MEMEs ...Cointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoMEME NFT farming platform launches the new and improved v2, Megadeth NFT nets $18K, and Kevin Smith tokenizes the rights to “Killroy Was Here”. Filmmaker…
- Toddler hodler: 3-year-old Bitcoin educator interviews Michael SaylorCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoThree-year-old Lily Knight interviewed Michael Saylor on April 13 about his thoughts on Bitcoin and his plans for the future. Three year old Lily Knight,…
- South Korea's largest bank joins Hedera Governing CouncilCointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoShinhan Bank plans to use Hedera’s infrastructure to bolster the efficiency of many of its internal processes. Shinhan Bank, South Korea’s largest financial institution by…
- Coinbase’s COIN stock reference price set at just $250, as 1,700 staff get free sharesCointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoCoinbase’s reference price of $250, received ahead of the Nasdaq direct listing, values a “thank you” gift to all 1,700 full-time employees at $25,000. Major…
- Revealed: Top 4 user complaints about Signal's new crypto payments betaCointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoSignal has published user feedback from its beta integration with Mobilecoin, which saw users complain about the volatility and transaction fees related to MOB. Privacy-focused…