What is ChainLink (LINK)?
ChainLink is a decentralized oracle (software built on top of a blockchain), which provides external data to Ethereum smart contracts. ChainLink is an open source project, started at September 2017 by a company SmartContract. This company was already creating secure oracles for Bitcoin and Ethereum for over 3 years, but in 2017 decided to move towards their own middleware ChainLink. At the moment ChainLink is maintained by 3 developers.
The main purpose for creating ChainLink was to provide nnectivity between blockchains and external software such as bank payments, retail payments (Visa, Paypal), market data (NYSE, Bloomberg) and backend systems (SalesForce, SAP). This allows to integrate blockchain with off-chain sales and local payments, to turn them into smart contracts in exchange for LINK tockens. LINK token is an EIP20 Ethereum token with some additional functions. ICO for LINK tokens was completed on September 2017 raising total of $32.00 M.
Currently ChainLink only works with Ropsten, a test Ethereum network.
- Historical Data
- Multiverse secures $15M investment from Samsung Next, leading blockchain VCsCointelegraph.com News - 11 hours ago“Ideas have value,” said Cliff Szu, co-founder of Multiverse Labs. “[O]ur overriding goal is to help people with great ideas to discover the true value…
- VORTECS™ Spotlight: Here’s why Telcoin’s (TEL) rebound eclipsed most altcoinsCointelegraph.com News - 12 hours agoAs Bitcoin price reversed course, a key trading indicator flashed bullish hours before TEL embarked on a sharp 82% rally. Last week, as Bitcoin resurged…
- BIT Mining steps up Bitcoin mining operations in KazakhstanCointelegraph.com News - 13 hours agoThe mining firm's expansion into Kazakhstan follows plans to introduce new energy fees for crypto miners starting in 2022. Crypto mining firm BIT Mining, which…
- Blockfolio rides off into the sunset, but it's a new dawn for FTX AppCointelegraph.com News - 13 hours agoFTX indicated that although the Blockfolio brand is being retired, this would not affect the services offered to users. The Blockfolio brand is no more:…
- Small-cap altcoins push higher as Bitcoin bulls fight to hold $40,000Cointelegraph.com News - 14 hours agoLINA, WRX and STORJ led altcoins higher even as Bitcoin bulls encounter resistance at the $40,000 level. Bitcoin’s (BTC) recent surge above $40,000 injected a…