What is ChainLink (LINK)?
ChainLink is a decentralized oracle (software built on top of a blockchain), which provides external data to Ethereum smart contracts. ChainLink is an open source project, started at September 2017 by a company SmartContract. This company was already creating secure oracles for Bitcoin and Ethereum for over 3 years, but in 2017 decided to move towards their own middleware ChainLink. At the moment ChainLink is maintained by 3 developers.
The main purpose for creating ChainLink was to provide nnectivity between blockchains and external software such as bank payments, retail payments (Visa, Paypal), market data (NYSE, Bloomberg) and backend systems (SalesForce, SAP). This allows to integrate blockchain with off-chain sales and local payments, to turn them into smart contracts in exchange for LINK tockens. LINK token is an EIP20 Ethereum token with some additional functions. ICO for LINK tokens was completed on September 2017 raising total of $32.00 M.
Currently ChainLink only works with Ropsten, a test Ethereum network.
- Historical Data
- New Huawei smartphone will feature a hardware wallet for digital yuanCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoThe Mate40 series will reportedly enable dual offline transactions and allow users to control anonymity. Huawei has announced that its forthcoming Mate40 smartphone series will…
- Bitcoin just 4 days away from historically bullish $10K price recordCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoIf Bitcoin can stay above $10,000 by the day of the U.S. elections, history suggests that $100,000 is next. Bitcoin (BTC) has spent nearly 100…
- Blockchain could become a part of the US military’s strategic weaponryCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoSIMBA Chain beat competitors such as Boeing by using blockchain to underpin a war games solution for the U.S. Department of Defense. One often hears…
- Bitcoin suddenly slides 4% as BofA predicts a 20% stock market crashCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoThe price of Bitcoin abruptly dropped 4% from the day’s peak as the uncertainty in the stock market intensified. The price of Bitcoin (BTC) abruptly…
- Nearly 24% of Ether held on exchanges — three times the percentage of BitcoinCointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoOnly 8.1% of Bitcoin is held on exchanges compared to Ether where almost one-quarter of the supply sits on exchanges. Almost one-quarter of Ethereum’s (ETH)…