What is Cardano (ADA)?
ADA is a crypto coin running on Cardano Settlement Layer (CSL) blockchain, the first and most secure blockchain based on Proof of stake mechanism validating the transactions. Cardano team calls their proof of stake mechanism Ouroboros. Unlike Proof of Work, where miners invest energy intensive computing power to mine each block, proof of stake chooses a random miner based on the size of the stake (value). In order to generate or mint a new block, a slot leader is chosen with a probability proportional to the amount of coins this node is carrying. So one of ADA's advantages over Bitcoin, Ethereum and other similar cryptocurrencies is its energy-efficient proof of stake transaction validation system. ADA is flexible like Ethereum due to a second layer Cardano Computational Layer (CCL) which supports decentralized applications and smart contracts.
ADA was initially created by Input Output Hong Kong (IOHK), a blockchain development firm. The project was led by Charles Hoskinson who was a former co-founder of Ethereum, Etereum classic and Bitshares. Presently the ADA team consist of three organizations i.e. Cardano foundation, IOHK, and Emurgo.
The major use of Cardano is the transfer of value. Future development of applications on CCL layer can provide the easy and economical payment solution to service providers such as Uber, Upwork, and alike.
See Also: How to Buy Cardano ADA
- Historical Data
- Failure to launch: Australia’s first 3 crypto ETFs all miss launch dayCointelegraph.com News - 6 hours agoThree cryptocurrency exchange-traded funds (ETFs) scheduled to launch on the Cboe Australia exchange today were delayed due to “checks” still being undertaken. The launch of…
- Brazil’s Senate approves 'Bitcoin law' to regulate cryptocurrenciesCointelegraph.com News - 7 hours agoIt's a historic day for cryptocurrencies in Brazil, as the Senate has finally approved the country's first bill aimed at regulating the crypto market. The…
- Nifty News: OpenSea acquires Gem, and Chess.com makes a move into NFTsCointelegraph.com News - 9 hours agoOpenSea's NFT empire just got bigger with its latest acquisition, while virtual influencer Rae creates an NFT collection to advance girls' education, and online chess…
- Here’s why the growth of token staking could be bullish for Lido (LDO)Cointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoA renewed focus on decentralization, the steady growth of DeFi’s liquid staking sector and investment from institutions could benefit LDO token in the long-term. Liquid…
- Ethereum on-chain data hints at further downside for ETH priceCointelegraph.com News - 12 hours agoAn assortment of on-chain and derivatives data signal that ETH price is unlikely to rally above $3,500 any time soon. Analyzing Ether's (ETH) current price…